You can record your voice using your computer’s built-in microphone, or by connecting a microphone to your computer. You record your voice in a Real Instrument track in the GarageBand timeline.
Record your voice
- If you are using an external microphone, connect the microphone to the audio input port or USB port on your computer, or to an audio interface connected to your computer.
- Click the Add Track button (with a “+”) in the lower-left part of the GarageBand window.
The Add Track Dialog appears, with an icon for each track type.
- In the Add Track dialog, select Real Instrument.
- Click the disclosure triangle next to Instrument Setup.
- Choose the input source from the upper-left pop-up menu.
- If you are using the microphone built into your computer, choose Built-in Microphone.
- If you are using a microphone connected to your computer’s audio input port, choose Built-in Input.
- If you are using a microphone connected to a USB port, choose the name of the microphone.
- If you are using a microphone connected to an audio interface, choose the channel the microphone is connected to.
- Under “I hear sound from,” choose the audio output you want to use to hear the sound from the microphone.
- To turn on monitoring for the track, select the “I want to hear my Instrument as I play and record” checkbox.
- Click Create.
The new track appears selected in the timeline.
- To start recording, click the red Record button in the control bar.
The playhead moves across the timeline, and a new, red region with the recording appears in the selected track.
- When you’re finished, click the Play (>) button in the control bar to stop recording.