You can add a Real Instrument track and use it to record sound from a microphone.
To add a Real Instrument track:
- Click the Add Track button on the left side of the control bar, or choose Track > New Track.
- In the New Track dialog, select Real Instrument.
- Click the triangle next to Instrument Setup.
- Choose the type of input for the track from the upper-left pop-up menu. If you are using the microphone built into your computer, choose Built-in Microphone; if you are using a microphone connected to your computer’s audio input port, choose Built-in Input.
- Choose the input channel from the lower-left pop-up menu. If you are using a stereo microphone, choose a Stereo input channel pair; otherwise, choose a Mono (monophonic) input channel.
- If you want to turn on monitoring for the track, select the “I want to hear my Instrument as I play and record” checkbox.
- If you want to use a different audio device to hear your project, choose an audio output from the upper-right pop-up menu.
- Click Create.
The new track appears in the timeline, and the Track Info pane opens.
- In the Track Info pane, select an instrument category from the list on the left, then select the instrument you want to use from the list on the right.
- To change the default track name, click the name in the track header. When the name appears highlighted, type a new name.